These are Mathematics Department course numbers; some of these courses are also cross-listed under Computer Science numbers. (Unfortunately, the University has changed its system of catalog description pages in a way that requires updating links each semester. Therefore, we only direct you to the UI main course page and let you click on from there to find the official catalog announcements. The “course announcement” links here point to more complete descriptions of the most recent offerings of the courses.)
We have a one-semester introduction to combinatorics at the graduate level (Combinatorial Mathematics, Math 580/CS 571). This course is suitable for students in other areas seeking an overview of the fundamentals of the area and for students preparing to study more advanced courses in combinatorics.
We also rotate several regular graduate courses. These assume some experience in combinatorics; Math 580 suffices for each. Normally, each of these courses is offered once every two years.
- Combinatorics (Math 580) (course web page)
- Extremal Graph Theory (Math 581/CS 572) |
- Structure of Graphs (Math 582)
- Partial Orders & Combinatorial Optimization (Math 583) (course announcement) (course web page)
- Methods of Combinatorics (Math 584/CS 575) (course announcement) (course web page)
- Probabilistic Methods in Discrete Mathematics (Math 585) (course announcement)
- Algebraic Combinatorics (Math 586)
|Semester||Course No.||Course Title||Instructor|
|Fall 2020||Math 581/CS 572||Extremal Graph Theory||Kostochka|
|Spring 2021||Math 580/CS 571||Combinatorial Mathematics||Balogh|
|Fall 2021||Math 580/CS 571||Combinatorial Mathematics||Balogh|
|Fall 2021||Math 582||Structure of Graphs||Kostochka|
|Fall 2021||Math 585||Probabilistic Methods in Discrete Mathematics||Balogh|
|Spring 2022||Math 584/CS 575||Methods of Combinatorics||Balogh|
|Fall 2022||Math 580/CS571||Combinatorial Mathematics||Balogh|
|Spring 2023||Math 586||Algebraic Combinatorics||Yong|
|Spring 2023||Math 583||Partial Orders & Combinatorial Optimization||Balogh|
Occasional special topics courses:
- Topics in Combinatorics (Math 595 – Now a single course number for all topics courses). Offerings from the Combinatorics Group have included Algebraic Methods, Additive Number Theory, Coloring Problems for Graphs and Hypergraphs, Combinatorics of Symmetric Functions, Lattices Points and Polytopes, Problems in Combinatorial Geometry, The Grassmannian, and Closure Systems.